Understanding Science offers a selection of courses, that can be mixed and matched to provide you with the background you need to undertake a successful laboratory project. We can bring you up to speed on the basic laboratory techniques that you are likely to encounter in both the lab and the literature and point you to sources of information to enable you to get the most from your research time.
Understanding Laboratory Research Techniques: A guide for Health Professionals
The tutorial sessions are broadly divided into three categories and students can mix and match from all three categories according to their needs. It is recommended that students select four topics to discuss in a one hour session.
(i) Understanding Cell Culture
- (a) Introduction to mammalian cell culture and sterile technique.
- (b) Preparing protein extracts, hints and tips for success
(ii) Understanding Protein Techniques
- (c) Protein quantification for successful electrophoresis
- (d) 1D SDS PAGE Analysis, practical tips for stress free gels
- (e) 2D SDS PAGE Analysis, including DIGE
- (f) Western Blotting, achieving the perfect blot.
(iii) Understanding DNA Techniques
- (g) Agarose gel electrophoresis, analysing your DNA
- (h) Purifying DNA and RNA, hints and tips
- (i) Understanding microarray gene technology
Evaluating Scientific Literature: What’s the difference between a good and a bad paper?
This one hour session aims to develop health-care professionals ability to critically evaluate the literature. Participants will be encouraged to bring a scientific paper of their choosing to discuss, in depth, with a research scientist to evaluate the strengths and the weaknesses of the work.
Where and When?
The tutorials take place in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, at a time to suit you. Evening, weekend and early morning appointments can be arranged to fit in with your shifts. Huntly is one hour from Aberdeen City and can be reached by train or bus, the number 10 runs from Foresterhill to Huntly 16 times a day
£45* per hour (£40 on production of a valid student ID card and if you like you can bring a friend and split the cost!)
Book your place by calling 01466 668188 (from 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday) or by using our contact form (Contact Us) stating your preferred date and time.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.